Premier Wade MacLauchlan today unveiled the Liberal Party’s strategy to grow Prince Edward Island’s primary industries.
“Prince Edward Island’s culture and economy are tied to the land and sea through our fishing and farming communities,” said the Premier. “Placing greater focus on these traditional sectors will maintain and create jobs for Islanders.”
A Liberal Government will build on the success Prince Edward Island has achieved as a recognized producer of world-class foods and increase support to the Province’s resource-based industries.
The Premier announced that a new Food Strategy will increase the number of new food products being developed, leverage technology to improve productivity, and support the launch of new Prince Edward Island companies focused on food. The strategy will promote Prince Edward Island as “Canada’s Food Island.”
In addition to the Food Strategy, Premier MacLauchlan announced that a Liberal Government will:
- Extend the Low Interest Loan Program for Island fishers;
- Work with the potato industry and the Federal Government to assist growers and processors to acquire scanning and metal detection equipment;
- Expand freezer and cold storage capacity;
- Work with primary industries to help modernize operations;
- Support technologies and equipment such as on-boat water circulation systems to enhance the quality of our lobster products;
- Expand the province’s fresh lobster holding capacity;
- Work with the forestry sector to find new markets while continuing to support sustainable forest harvesting practices;
- Support operations at the Prince Edward Island beef plant;
- Establish lending programs for Prince Edward Island beef farmers to support a “Prince Edward Island Lean Beef” initiative; and
- -Implement the P.E.I Farmland Financing Program to assist farmers in expanding their operations.
“To create jobs and grow our economy, we need to play to our strengths. We have a competitive
advantage over most jurisdictions when it comes to food quality and we must do all that we can
to build on that advantage,” said the Premier.